paralized with anxiety and not able to take any pictures, I arranged daily phone calls with my mother. These calls resulted in inspirational morning affirmations shared here with anyone who experiences anything similar: from morning fatigue to artist’s block...
collated during Covid19, November/December 2020.
“Fange den Tag von heute nicht mit den Scherben von gestern an”
“Don’t start today with the broken glass of yesterday” (Phil Bosman)
1. “Ich lebe also lohnt es” .
“Was hilft aller Sonnenaufgang wenn wir nicht aufstehen” - G.C. Lichtenberg
What’s a sunrise good for if nobody sees it? Wiggle your feet and hands.
Drink half your breakfast tea at home then fill into a flask and take it outside.
2. “Es lohnt sich aufzustehen um Dich zu hoeren, denn die Welt waere aermer ohne Dich“
Hug your animal, friend, loved one (can be virtually). Imagine the nicest thing in the kitchen then go and eat it. Then go and wash your face with cold water. If you have a balcony or outside area step outside.
3. Wake up Body Scan
Der erste Vogel erwischt den Wurm - aber die zweite Maus kriegt den Kaese - Willy Meurer.
(note: und fuer den ersten Wurm siehts auch Scheisse aus!). The early bird catches the worm - but the second mouse get’s the cheese. (and it’s looking bad for the worm too!)
Very funny - especially if you like sleep ins :) Take your time in getting up- set your alarm early so you have time. What literature have you got about mornings or waking up?
4. Poem: Erwachen by Sonja Gruber - sorry this does not translate easy!
Heute ist es sanft, Dein Glanz scheint matt, so fein der Tag
Gib leise Acht, sei zart bedacht, die Nacht schwingt nach
Wink fort den Schlaf, hab dank dem Tag, der Wachen wagt.
5. Count down from 20 and imagine warm sunrays filling your body
Think a few days ahead- anything good or important coming up? Get your mind shifted towards this - it could be a yoga class or a vet appointment. Wash your face with warm then cold water. Get dressed. Read poem to Mum: Gustav Schüler “Wach auf”
Mum thinking of moles and cats and what they do. Get out for 10 mins breeze of fresh air.
6. Let your foot hang over the bedside and move after it bit by bit.
Turn on a light. Get a quick task done e.g. pick up something from the corner shop, pharmacy pet store. Post your morning worries onto a forum to get input and replies.
Get morning tips from others.
7. Try a podcast - motivational morning
Can’t push away sadness - sometimes we just need to let it be, allow it, it’s part of our essence. Acknowledge what it is and call a family member to talk about it. Today mum has seen the tree cry outside her house- liquid runs out of it. Imagine a tree and it’s roots. Feel rooted. Go to bed early. Find a good morning poem or podcast...
8. If you don’t get up you can’t see the world.
You can’t see what happens today if you don’t get up to see it. Find a new place to see the sunrise. Set your alarm 30 mins before sunrise and drive up into your local hills. If weather is bad try the 10 min “Great Meditations”- “Morning Positive Energy Bodyscan” On Youtube. This will fill you with sunshine!
9. Rub the soles of your feet together, clench your thighs and let go, repeat. Give yourself a hug. Choose some nice colourful clothes today.
10. Morgenandacht, Morgendämmerung, Morgenröthe. “Morgendstund hat Gold im Mund” (ich mag aber lieber Silber oder Kupfer). Think of words associated with “morning”. Morning is golden- but actually I prefer silver and bronze :)
11. Check out song on Youtube: “Seeeds, Aufwachen” or play a Bill Withers song- that will do!
12. “Durch die trueben Wolken leuchten.” (Mum 23/11/2020) Under the clouds the sun continues to shine. Remind yourself that nothing is always bad, things change, clouds lift.
13. “Feel connected to the earth so it gives your grounding” (. Make a call to family outside. A ship on the horizon. “Ein Schiff wird kommen...” (something good will come your way...). Hug a tree.
14. “Frisch in den Tag mit Zuversicht und Moral.” Wash your face with cold water.
15. “Zaertlichkeit zu Mensch und Dingen.” Zartheit zugeneigt sein und sich selbst gegenueber. Hinnehmen wenn Dinge nicht so sind wie man will....
16. “Concentration” - have 5 mins with a candle to stay calm for the day.
17. “Importance of Rituals” Marina Abramović - slowing it down
18. Love yourself - no one is complete. Hug yourself.
19. Just be. Things will come your way. Wash your face with warm water. If you need an answer to soemthing: take a Tarot card: http://www.rider-waite.com
20. Zuversicht - Hoffnung. trotz Schwierigkeiten gibt es immerwieder Ueberraschungen und Chancen. Have a LARGE cup of tea today and drink it slowly.
21. Ortheil (”Was ich liebe und was nicht”) Jeden Tage darf man neu anfangen wenn man will. Sich verzeihen fuer irgendwelche Fehler in the Vergangenheit. Frei sein. Self Worth. Selbstwert aufbauen. Ted Article: https://ideas.ted.com/how-to-cultivate-a-sense-of-unconditional-self-worth/ or “The Power of Now”
22. Have breakfast in bed
23. Don’t think - just roll out of bed
24. Candles - light a candle. Be grateful to somone who loves you. Tell them.
25. Be grateful to your mum- call her if you can - to tell her. If they are not around anymore just think of them. What do you need to build up some strength? Feel the strength building up inside you. Just focus on yourself and this very moment.
26. Love is in the air. Walk and fresh air. Set your alarm 30 mins earlier to have time to wake up.
27. Break up the routine. Go down the stairs backwards. Plan a trip to somewhere you have not been before.
28. Visualise your way to the kitchen. Get up and make your bed immediately to not be tempted to get back in. Plan something for after work even it’s just a bath.
29. Put on the radio and sing or dance to whatever is playing. Just go with it!
30. “Umwege vs Abstecher”. Discuss two similar words with a friend. What do they mean to you?
31. Breath into /through any pain to clear your head. Read a poem e.g. “Beginnende Tage”: https://herzhuepfen.com/
With thanks to my mum: Sylvia Sobeck.
Try https://translate.google.co.uk for anything you are unable to read...